A Huston woman suffered bruises and scratches after a violent struggle to keep her purse from being stolen by a thief.
She lost the struggle. The thief got away with her purse, which he knew contained cash.
How did he know? He watched her get the money at her bank. And then followed her to the mall where he stole her purse.
“It looks like he probably followed her from the bank. These juggers will sit in parking lots and actually just wait. They are looking for bigger targets,”Houston Robbery Division Detective Jeff Brieden
She never noticed…
- He followed her all the way to the mall and she never noticed.
- He followed her through the parking lot and she never noticed.
- He followed her into the mall and she never noticed.
- He walked right up behind her on the escalator and she never noticed.
Related Post: Awareness: The Cornerstone of Self Defense
Related Post: I Think I’m Being Followed. What Should I do?
Police apparently said there was a woman in front of the victim on the escalator. She asked a question, which police say distracted the victim. I didn’t see any woman on the escalator except the one who was attacked.
But does it really matter? The woman had no clue the thief was there. Why? Because she had her face firmly planted in her phone!
Get off your phone when you’re in public!
AARGH!! I hate smart phones. OK. I love mine. But smart phones have been the cause of so many thefts and physical attacks because the victims using them had no idea what was going on around them.
They were chosen as targets because they were so unaware. It’s just too easy to grab a package, a purse, a phone out of a distracted person’s hands!
It’s just too easy to hit someone, to knock them down, to violently attack them, when they are unaware.
That’s all I’m going to say about that subject. If you’d like to hear me rant some more… I mean if you’d like to read more about threat awareness, safety and cell phones… here are a couple of posts for you.
- The video below shows the woman driving into the mall parking lot.
- It shows the thief’s vehicle following her.
- It shows the thief following her into the mall and up the escalator.
- He grabs her purse. She hangs on. He pulls her down the escalator, to the door.
- She finally lets go of her purse and the thief runs out the door.
Threat Awareness is a tool that everyone should have in their Self-Defense Toolbox.